Whether you have a Chevy Silverado, a GMC Sierra, or a number of other large pickup trucks, chances are that the yare outfitted with a super powerful Duramax diesel engine. Yes, these engines produce a whole lot of torque and horsepower. These are true beasts of engines designed for power.
That said, just like any other engine out there, your Duramax does need the right kind of lubrication to stay in working order, or in other words, the right engine oil. Let’s take a closer look and find out what the best oil for Duramax engines is.
- Meets fuel emissions standards
- Improves fuel economy
- Great for hot and cold weather
- Excellent cold start performance
- Excellent for cold weather
- Decent for warm weather
- Great for high mileage vehicles
- Removes and prevents buildups
- Suitable for gas and diesel engines
- Great for older and newer vehicles
- Excellent for keeping engines clean
- Good performance in moderate weather conditions
- Excellent wear protection
- Good for most weather conditions
- For large vehicles
Overall #1 Rated Top Pick
The overall number one rated top pick oil for Duramax diesel engines has to be Shell-Rotella-T6-Full-Synthetic-Heavy-Duty-Engine-Oil-5W-40. There are a number of reasons for this, so let’s take a quick look.
• This is one of the most highly recommended motor oils across the board.
• Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Engine Oil is an excellent choice for mostly all weather conditions. It doesn’t excel in extreme cold temperatures, but other than that, it does just fine.
• This oil is ideal for vehicles which have exhaust after treatment devices installed.
• Meets and exceeds all US emissions testing standards.
• Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 features a clean formula which helps prevents buildups and deposits from forming.
• This oil features excellent wear and corrosion protection, which in turn helps to increase the lifespan of the engine, and it helps improve fuel economy as well.
Recommended Oil for Duramax
What you need to know about Duramax engines is that they are heavy duty diesel engines, and they do need the right kind of oil. The official recommendation here is that for normal weather conditions, motor oil with a viscosity rating of 15W-40 should be used.
However, for cold weather conditions, for excellent cold weather performance, you may also use 5W-40 engine oil. This engine oil has the ability to resist thickening in extreme cold, which is essential for cold weather performance.
Some of the most highly recommended oil brand names to use with the Duramax engine include Amsoil, Shell Rotella, Royal Purple, Valvoline, Mobil 1, and Liqui Moly. Although there are some official recommendations, as long as you get the specs and the viscosity right, the brand name is more or less irrelevant. Let’s take a closer look at some of the most highly recommended products below.
|Brand||Mileage & Conditions|
|Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Heavy Duty Engine Oil||Ideal for moderate temperatures, vehicles between 0 and 150,000 miles, and for maintaining engine cleanliness|
|Liqui Moly 2041 Premium 5W-40 Oil||Ideal for cold weather conditions, for both newer and older engines, and can help to keep engines clean + improve fuel economy.|
|AmazonBasics High Milegage 5W-40 Motor Oil||Excellent for older vehicles exceeding 75,000 miles.|
|Valvoline Premium Blue 8600 ES SAE 15W-40 Oil||Ideal for moderate temperatures, relatively new vehicles, and for excellent wear protection.|
Best Oil for Duramax
Let’s take a closer look at the variety of engines oils you have to choose from to keep that Duramax Diesel engine purring smoothly.
The top best product [hide]
Oil for Duramax – Buyer’s Guide
Before you go out and buy a vehicle with a Duramax engine, or the oil for it, let’s take a quick look at some of the most important things which you need to know.
5W-40 vs 15W-40 Oil for Duramax
The thing you have to be aware of here is that the Duramax diesel engine is compatible with both 5w40 and 15W-40 motor oils. That said, what is the difference between them? Well, for great all weather performance, if you are looking for oil at a reasonable cost that will provide your engine with a lot of protection, 15W-40 is what you want to go for.
On the other hand, if you require excellent cold weather performance, the 5W-40 option is best, as it is much better at resisting thickening in cold conditions. It is all about that first number in the designation, the 5 or the 15, as these refer to the lowest possible operating temperature at which the oil in question can perform efficiently at.
Duramax Oil Capacity
The 6.6 liter Duramax is a massive diesel engine and you better believe that it needs a whole lot of motor oil. This particular engine requires a whopping 10 quarts of oil.
Duramax Oil Change – How to & How Often
In terms of performing an oil change, the official recommendation is that the Duramax engine requires the oil to be changed every 7,500 miles. Diesel engines need a lot of oil with frequent oil changes. Some specific models may allow you to go for up to 10,000 miles before an oil change is required.
When it comes to how to change the oil on your Duramax on your own, below we have included a tutorial video to help you out.