If you have something like a Jeep Grand Cherokee, a Dodge Ram, a Charger, or any other such vehicle that uses a 5.7 liter hemi engine, you know just how much power your vehicle has. There are plenty of Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep vehicles which feature this hemi engine.
Just like with all other engines, the 5.7 Hemi requires a specific type of oil to function properly. Finding the best oil for 5.7 Hemi can be hard due to the fact that there are a few different options to choose from. Let’s take a closer look at all of the options you have and which ones are best.
- Great wear protection
- Corrosion protection
- Improves fuel economy
- Great price
- Keeps engines clean
- Helps with maintaining fuel economy
- For High Mileage 5.7 Hemi
- Removes sludge and buildups
- Prevents new buildups from forming
- Keeps engines clean
- Great for newer vehicles
- Amazing amount of wear protection
- Great for newer and slightly older vehicles
- Keeps engines clean
- Maximizes fuel economy
Overall #1 Rated Pick
The number one overall rated pick for the best oil for 5.7 hemi has to be 5W-20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Motor Oil. There are a few reasons why this is the top pick, so let’s take a closer look.
• This motor oil is designed to work extremely well with vehicles which use gasoline that has a high ethanol content.
• Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Motor Oil provides excellent wear and friction protection to minimize damage.
• This oil is compatible with both synthetic and conventional motor oils.
• It features a low coefficient of friction, and therefore helps to improve fuel economy.
• Pennzoil 5W-20 is excellent for keeping engines clean and preventing corrosion.
• This oil performs exceptionally in cold start conditions.
• The only thing which is not fantastic about this particular option is that it is quite expensive.
Recommended Oil for 5.7 Hemi
The official recommendation for the best oil for the 5.7 hemi engine is API certified SAE 5w-20 engine oil. As long as you get engine oil which meets the specific viscosity grade rating of 5w-20, the brand name does not really matter.
Mopar, Pennzoil, Shell, Valvoline, Quaker State, Liqui Moly, and more are all acceptable options to go with.
The most important thing to keep in mind here is the specific viscosity rating. Something specific we quickly want to look at are which types of oil are best for your 5.7 Hemi depending on the mileage you have on your vehicle.
Yes, some engine oils are designed for newer engines, to keep them clean, while others are designed for older engines, to bring them back to their former glory, to clean them, and even to repair seals and to prevent leaks from occurring.
Check out our list below for a summary of our results.
- Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (Best Overall)
- MOPAR 5W20 Oil (Manufacturer Pick)
- Valvoline SAE 5W-20 High Mileage Motor Oil – Best Oil for 5.7 Hemi Charger (For High Mileage 5.7 Hemi)
- Quaker State Advanced Durability 5W-20 Motor Oil
- Liqui Moly 2259 Special Tec AA 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil – Best for Hemi Truck
Best Oil for 5.7 Hemi
The top best product [hide]
Oil for 5.7 Hemi – Buyer’s Guide
Before you go out and buy motor oil for your 5.7 Hemi, there are a few things which you first should be aware of.
5.7 Hemi Oil Capacity
The 5.7 Hemi engine, no matter which vehicle it is in, has an oil capacity of 7 quarts, or roughly 6.6 liters. These are big engines and they need lots of motor oil.
How to Change Oil on 5.7 Hemi
Changing the oil on your 5.7 Hemi engine is doable, and it is something you can do on your own. Below we have included a short tutorial video on how to change the oil on your 5.7 Hemi, specifically for the Dodge Ram 1500/2500.
5.7 Hemi Conventional or Synthetic Oil
You might be wondering if you can use conventional or mineral oil for your 5.7 Hemi. The answer here is no, because the Hemi is a big engine that requires high performance oil. When it comes to temperature qualities, such as resistance to extreme heat or cold, synthetic oils will usually always perform better. The 5.7 Hemi requires synthetic oil, not conventional motor oil.
2019 Ram 1500 Oil Capacity
How much oil your 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 takes is going to depend on the size of it. The 5.7 Hemi V8 has an oil capacity of 7 quarts, whereas as the 3.6 liter V6 engine has an oil capacity of 5 quarts. In case you are wondering what the 2017 Ram 1500’s 5.7 Hemi oil type is, it is also SAE 5w-20.
Features & Factors to Look Out for
There are a few important aspects or features that you need to look out for when purchasing the best motor oil for your vehicle with a 5.7 Hemi engine.
• Always compare the oil in terms of mileage. Some motor oils are designed for newer engines. These help to keep engines clean, to prevent wear and corrosion, and to produce maximum fuel economy. While high mileage motor oils do all of these things too, they are also designed to help remove old buildups and sludge deposits, while also sealing old seals to prevent oil leaks.
• Always make sure that you get motor oil with the proper viscosity for your 5.7 Hemi. Keep in mind that these engines require motor oil with a viscosity rating of 5w-20.
• If you are using a vehicle with fuel that contains a high amount of ethanol, make sure that the motor oil in question is compatible with it.
• Any good motor oil should help keep the engine as clean as possible, which in turn helps to maximize fuel economy.