Although the 4L60E transmission is no longer in production, there are many vehicles, ones from 2013 and older, which do have this transmission. It’s a really strong automatic transmission that allows vehicles to shift gears with ease.
That being said, seeing as these transmissions are now going to be fairly old, owners do need to take great care of them. A large part in caring for any transmission is using the right transmission fluid. This is what we are here for today, to help you find the best transmission fluid for 4L60E transmissions.
Overall #1 Rated Pick
The important thing to know here is that the recommended transmission fluid for the 4L60E transmission is Dexron III, as well as Dexron 6 and Dexron Merc too. This particular transmission may also take other compatible ATFs or automatic transmission fluids.
The number one overall pick here would have to be Valvoline DEX/MERC (ATF) Automatic Transmission Fluid. There are a variety of reasons why this particular option makes for the top pick.
- This transmission fluid is made with a mix of premium base stocks and enhanced additives to meet the demanding needs of automatic transmissions.
- Valvoline DEX/MERC (ATF) Automatic Transmission Fluid features anti-shudder protection to help enhance smooth shifting, as well as for maximum power transfer.
- This option also comes complete with anti-wear and anti-friction technology to help improve the durability and lifespan of the transmission.
- Valvoline DEX/MERC (ATF) Automatic Transmission Fluid is also designed to help maintain better flow at lower temperatures while also offering good protection at higher temperatures.
Transmission Fluid for 4L60E – Buyer’s Guide
Before you go out and buy 4L60E transmission fluid, there are some important points and facts to cover first.
4L60E Transmission Fluid Type
This is of course an automatic transmission, which therefore means that you will require ATF or automatic transmission fluid. This is not the same thing as transmission fluid which would be used for manual transmissions, although certain fluids may be interchangeable.
Once again, this particular transmission takes ATF, specifically type Dexron III, Dexron VI, or Dexron Merc. There are also other automatic transmission fluids which may be compatible.
4L60E Oil Capacity
Something you may be wondering is “how many quarts of transmission fluid does a 4L60E hold?” The answer to this is that this particular transmission can hold a total of 12 quarts of transmission fluids. So, when you are making a purchase, do keep this quantity in mind.
Chevy Silverado Transmission Fluid Type
One of the most popular vehicles which used to feature this 4L60E transmission is the Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck. So, do they all take the same kind of transmission fluid, or are there any differences to note. Let’s take a quick look at some of the most popular models from this line.
- 2000 Silverado Transmission Fluid Type – One of the most highly recommended transmission fluids for this particular model is O’Reilly Conventional Transmission Fluid 20W Dexron III-H/Mercon.
- 2003 Silverado Transmission Fluid Type – The 2003 Silverado actually requires Dexron IV transmission fluid, with the official recommendation being Professional™ Full Synthetic Dexron™ VI Automatic Transmission Fluid by ACDelco.
- 2008 Silverado Transmission Fluid Type – The 2008 model also takes Dexron IV, with the official recommendation being O’Reilly Synthetic Transmission Fluid 20W Dexron VI.
How to Change 4L60E Transmission Fluid
In case you do not want a mechanic charging you an insane amount of money to change your 4L60E transmission fluid, you can do it on your own, as long as you know how. Below we have included a tutorial video on how to do just that.
Benefits of The Right Transmission Fluid
Let’s take a quick look at why it is so important to have the right transmission fluid for your 4L60E transmission.
- Transmission fluid helps to lubricate the transmission for smoother and faster performance.
- This lubrication and smooth shifting can also help maximize power transfer.
- The lubrication provided by transmission fluid helps to protect the gears from friction and wear.
- Faster and more efficient shifting also leads to better fuel economy.
- The right transmission fluid can maintain its integrity in all temperatures.
The Best Transmission Fluid for 4L60E
Here we have a selection of 4 different transmission fluids, all suitable for the 4L60E transmission, so let’s take a closer look.
The top best product [hide]
High wear and friction protection
Long term protection
Exceptional protection and lifespan increase
Ideal for warm conditions
Good for city and highway driving
Resistance to thickening
Not suitable for cold weather
Suitable for many vehicles
Excellent film stability
Allows for smooth gear changes
Great power transfer
Responsive and smooth shifting
Enhanced fuel economy
Great all-temperature performance
Complete seal protection
The bottom line is that the 4L60E transmission requires Dexron III, VI, or Mercon transmission fluid, so this is what you need to look out for. As long as you stick with the right kind of transmission fluid, you should not have any issues.